Author Topic: Dangers of quoting the bible.  (Read 7885 times)

September 19, 2008, 11:46:25 AM
Reply #30

HateBlindFaith

• Settling In

• View Profile
I'm going to tend to agree with Steve.  While we have more advanced and prettier toys to keep ourselves occupied, human nature hasn't changed or evolved.  We are just more contained.  We have found nicer ways to go about proving that we are better than everyone else but it doesn't mean that our hearts have changed. 

October 01, 2008, 09:33:12 PM
Reply #31

MikeWho

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Ani otseh ha-orad
    • View Profile
I'm going to tend to agree with Steve.  While we have more advanced and prettier toys to keep ourselves occupied, human nature hasn't changed or evolved.  We are just more contained.  We have found nicer ways to go about proving that we are better than everyone else but it doesn't mean that our hearts have changed. 

blind faith. painful truth.

October 02, 2008, 05:44:30 AM
Reply #32

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: HateBlindFaith
I disagree. Social attitudes and morality have changed significantly. The idea that humanity has a single core nature of violence is a misguided notion based on a loathing and generalisation of humanity's worst actions. The very worst of humanity is not the summation of what defines us, what defines us is how each of us contribute to the future. If you find yourself disgusted with humanity, ask yourself whether you are projecting your own self-loathing onto the species in order to rationalise your flaws.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

October 02, 2008, 05:02:53 PM
Reply #33

MikeWho

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Ani otseh ha-orad
    • View Profile
I have to disagree a little with you Fajir.

Philosophies have changed......in specific parts of the world that are technologically advanced, in that the notion of a fictional reality is somewhat integrated within the social development of these people..

but with the technological implications set aside.........it would still be the same...........as far as philisophical differences would eventually come about ... as we are all rationalizing..ever progressing/degressing mentally, and materially....which goes back directly to mentally.

Take the tribes of Ecuador, or Zimbabwe..etc..etc.. the names of countries could go on. The civilizations that we consider "Advanced" are only "Advanced" in that we philisophically consider them this way. Sure, building a space shuttle to land on the moon is more complex and advanced technologically than a time when people could not......but that is only an advancement in technology..... and knowledge, which is ever growing no matter what towards something... that ultimately does not really matter... as I should not have to explain this to you..........you are on an Occult forum.

So us, being either Occultists, or the spiritually intrigued, also understand that the "non" material planes of existence far outweigh the physical. The non-physical realms, which we all know so well... are timeless. Advancement is linear, and is related to time, as it is developing. However, the "Advancements" have always been there, we are just now able to perform more, as time progresses... while the flip side, says "Idiots... they dont know.. that its already Known..and never made."

Its all just philosophy based. The philosophies change, and they will change, and they have changed. Philosophies are always the same things, in different forms.

Morality has not changed, its just shifted.....or migrated to other areas, while the voids of morality have moved......and it just moves with people. Culture and Philosophies which are all learned, behaviorly or intellectually, and continued on... and shifted. While one increases one place, it decreases in another..and thus a wave that goes up and down... in ever aspect of life.

The words and deffinitions are all that has really changed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:05:39 PM by MikeWho »

October 06, 2008, 12:05:17 AM
Reply #34

Jeckel

• Veritas Furniture

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    nothing more to say
    • View Profile
We are creatures who have defined our survival and progress based on our development of our tools. (BTW, if you think about it, everything is either a better fire, better spear, or better wheel)

The way our morals have developed with the way our technology and understanding has allowed us to look at our world. Like I had said before, you can't really use the bible to parallel today because the people of those times couldn't have possibly imagined what the societies of today required. The sin of sloth may kill you in a day where you needed to toil for any amount of daily food or water. I can turn a faucet and get water, I can flip a switch and get light whenever I want, I can store food for weeks, maybe months.
Just a wishful thinker with the worst intentions.

The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had. - Mad World

October 06, 2008, 01:54:56 AM
Reply #35

MikeWho

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Ani otseh ha-orad
    • View Profile
We are creatures who have defined our survival and progress based on our development of our tools. (BTW, if you think about it, everything is either a better fire, better spear, or better wheel)

The way our morals have developed with the way our technology and understanding has allowed us to look at our world. Like I had said before, you can't really use the bible to parallel today because the people of those times couldn't have possibly imagined what the societies of today required. The sin of sloth may kill you in a day where you needed to toil for any amount of daily food or water. I can turn a faucet and get water, I can flip a switch and get light whenever I want, I can store food for weeks, maybe months.

Our morals have not developed, and they have not degressed... they are the same as they have always been...their application have just now been to include a wider variety of examples.....and socially..have shifted to different areas of the world. Some areas have seen a decline, and others an increase.

Yourself, for example... on the vsociety, speaking of morals... is nothing different than every philosopher of every time, trying to determine the meaning of anything... or everything.

The better spear, the better fire, and the better wheel... are all for the sake of a better life... and the desire for a better life... is just a desire to live...and a desire to live better. However, it is material..........as the physical body, has not changed at all...................one still dies, and one still contemplates his life, and his death. One has questions, that extend beyond the capabilities of the spear, the wheel, the fire...etc..

Our understanding is the same understanding it has always been: that we now just realize that there is alot less that we understand.....than before, when things were more understandable....

knowledge in this case is a flaw... as all knowledge... is not true....as a lie, and a false understanding... is still knowledge...  fabricated texture, or invented reasoning........knowledge also includes rationalized understanding.... the list can go on as to what constitutes knowledge............but the only thing that has changed, is that there are more falsities to complicate life now, as there are more "truths.." to know, and even more truths to seperate.... from what is a lie..

get my gist? There is not any more understandings now....there is just more confusion.