Author Topic: The Practice of Yoga  (Read 74624 times)

June 26, 2008, 05:23:27 PM
Reply #30

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
chi converting to Jing was the source of the shock.  Doesn't seem like Yoga, just Taoist/Oriental meditation and exercises.   
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

June 26, 2008, 07:17:01 PM
Reply #31

TheAleph

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    א
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for the answers  :wink:

Some more scriptures to read:

Tao te ching / Daodejing (Taoist)
The secret of the Golden Flower (Taoist) (you can find a part of this with comments in the articles forum)
Popol Vuh / Popol Wuj (Mayan)

Namaste
"Today, a young man on acid, realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, and we are the imagination of ourselves... now here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

June 27, 2008, 06:14:36 PM
Reply #32

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
Do you read scripture for the sake of knowledge to decide what is truth, or are they all true? I am currently reading the Bible and I've done a bit of research on the Tao Te Ching, and they seem pretty different. (The main difference being that Christ is or isn't the Son of God). But how should I approach reading scripture? My thoughts tend to conflict greatly with each other when I study religion and I can never quite make up my mind on what is true, and then I eventually lose motivation for reading.
What would you recommend doing to gain the most from reading scripture?
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

June 27, 2008, 07:01:41 PM
Reply #33

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
It depends on what you believe but if you can believe that all scriptures are true and eventually lead to the same place then you will find it much easier to read them and not feel conflicted.  I am currently reading the Bhagavad Gita and it explains this very well. 

From the times I have talked to Veos about this he has told me that it is to "uplift the mind". I take this to mean that each scripture was written by some enlightened or spiritually mature being and so when you read what they had to say on the matters of life and existence and how to behave in life, then you have a sort of connection that begins to form between yourself and the deity or Adept that wrote it or taught it. Thus the more connection you have with these great sages the more you become like them and their ideas permeaat your mind and thoughts until you think pure and devotional thoughts all the time.  A good example is what happens when one has mastered Namah Japa and supposedly you become one with the aspects of that god.

Namaste
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

June 27, 2008, 09:21:10 PM
Reply #34

talibah

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    You say psycho like it's a bad thing.
    • View Profile
Do you read scripture for the sake of knowledge to decide what is truth, or are they all true? I am currently reading the Bible and I've done a bit of research on the Tao Te Ching, and they seem pretty different. (The main difference being that Christ is or isn't the Son of God). But how should I approach reading scripture? My thoughts tend to conflict greatly with each other when I study religion and I can never quite make up my mind on what is true, and then I eventually lose motivation for reading.
What would you recommend doing to gain the most from reading scripture?

I'm no expert, but I think that religions represent different levels of...spirituality. Even though they seem different they all represent god, life, or whatever you wanna call it. It's just that because our spirits (or minds) are at different levels we interpret the same thing different ways. Say we both were drinking the same bottle of Sprite. When you drank from it all you tasted was the strong acidity of it. Yet when I drunk it my senses were taken by the lemon & lime flavor. We drank from the same bottle, but tasted different things. That's pretty much how I see religion. So, when you read scripture take it as it is. Somebody's interpretation.... Take what you like from it and leave the rest. Hope I helped.
Tantra says, forget the god. If you are the animal, understand this animal in it's totality. In that understanding itself, the god will grow...-Osho

June 28, 2008, 10:15:23 AM
Reply #35

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Kichara, Talibah, thanks for that information. I think I'm beginning to understand the meaning of scripture now. Also, (irrelevant to topic) Taaliba is the Arabic word for Female Student.
As a side note I've been practicing the Yoga according to the training schedule you provide, Veos, and all I can say is- now I know what Prophecy meant by the fires of rigorous training. Sashasana (Is that the one where you stand on your head?) was so hard for me, I needed a wall to put my back against and even then it was so tiring. The kapal Bhati and Bastrika, as well as the first Pranayama were also pretty difficult.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

June 28, 2008, 10:37:42 AM
Reply #36

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
Sirhasana is the head stand. If you have that much trouble doing it then stop and practice Sarvangasana for a longer period of time.(the Shoulder stand)   You do not want to do sirhasana leaning on a wall as it makes you used to doing it in an incorrect form. The corner of a room is used in the beginning stages though so that if you begin to lose balance you can put your heels on the wall for a moment and then get back it balance.

Namaste
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

June 28, 2008, 10:47:51 AM
Reply #37

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Sirshasana, ah. Anyway, I wasn't leaning against the wall, my heels and back were both against it. So I should find a corner and try again? It's pretty difficult even getting your legs up in the air. Sirvangasana is pretty simple for me, although it becomes a little harder to hold after 5 minutes. I couldn't understand how to do the one where you twist your back around, so I didn't do it. Can someone elaborate on this one?

June 28, 2008, 11:19:40 AM
Reply #38

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Ardha Matsyendrasana is difficult. It requires a few different aspects of flexibility, strength, and balance. You can just focus on Sirshasana, Sarvangasana, Paschimottanasana, and Bhujangasana for now. Work on doing some stretches to improve overall flexibility. Your overall balance will improve through the asanas. The asanas will be very hard at first.

You may start with two or three minutes at first, and even that can be difficult. The benefits of the asanas change with time. At first, you'll build a lot of willpower. Learn to concentrate your mind and hold the poses. You'll work your way up in time rather quickly if you are determined. Once you reach a point of strength and flexibility, the inverted poses become easy, so to speak. Concentration is very important.

It's a pleasure to see you practicing and growing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:21:53 AM by Hech »

June 28, 2008, 11:37:01 AM
Reply #39

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
That sounds great. I was almost dying at 5 minutes. I guess it was rather foolish of me to start off at 5 minutes. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep on training to achieve that balance and strength of will.
Also, I notice I find my self more concentrated on actually keeping the posture, should I be focusing on something else?

June 28, 2008, 01:58:01 PM
Reply #40

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Do what you have to do at first; just never give up on trying your hardest. Ideally, you should concentrate on your body and your breathing. Follow the recommendations in the article. Read the asana section again after you practice a little.

June 29, 2008, 11:56:40 AM
Reply #41

Entity

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    : : A a U u M m : :
    • View Profile
    • United Psionics Club
Keeping the mind on the body is sufficient.
: : O m  N a m a h  S h i v a y a : :

July 14, 2008, 08:44:28 PM
Reply #42

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
When should the all of the Bandhas be performed during the Pranayama? I know the first two should be performed during sukha purvata, but what about the Bhastrika and Khapal Bhati? And what of the Uddiyana Bandha? When should that be applied to the Pranayama?

July 14, 2008, 09:24:24 PM
Reply #43

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Uddiyana Bandha can be applied during Kumbhaka.

July 14, 2008, 09:35:38 PM
Reply #44

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
So during Purvaka, do you bring the stomach up and in, so when you get to the point of Kumbhaka, you are already in Uddiyana? Or, do you just wait until Kumbhaka, then perform Uddiyana?
I can see why Uddiyana would be hard, if you have to perform it during Purvaka.