Author Topic: 2012 doomsday  (Read 35867 times)

April 10, 2008, 11:41:00 AM
Read 35867 times

leonard

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    What's that over there?
    • View Profile
hey,has anyone here heard about the phenomina that is supposed to happen on december 21, 2012 and if so, can anyone tell me about it?
thanks in advance  :)
"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self."
-Aristotle

www.thedivinescience.org

April 10, 2008, 11:49:04 AM
Reply #1

The Jacket

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Just to the right side of wrong.
    • View Profile
From what I've heard, its said that its going to be the end of the world because the Mayan calendar (said to be so accurate that it can predict events and not just now the days fall) Stops working after that date.  Their calendar is like a formula.  No mater what you plug in, something should come out. Supposedly on in 2012, nothing comes out anymore.

I've heard rumors that 2012 is also the year that our solar system will cross the equator of the galaxy. Shifting from southern hemisphere to northern I think.  Anyway, this phenomina is unprecidented to us, so, like with y2k, people are worried and fearing the worst.

Me?  I only hope its all true.
Every thing you know is wrong! Only what you dont know is true. Surely then the wisest man is he who knows nothing! By knowing nothing, clearly you know everything that isn't, and therefore everything that is.

April 10, 2008, 11:59:53 AM
Reply #2

leonard

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    What's that over there?
    • View Profile
why would tou want that to be true? no offense, i am just a little curious.
"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self."
-Aristotle

www.thedivinescience.org

April 10, 2008, 12:04:08 PM
Reply #3

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
ugh god, im in fear of 2012, not because i think the worlds going to end but because of the people that will be looting, raping, pillaging, and killing. also prices on just about everything is going to go up due to the surge of paranoid people hoping to stay alive... but about whats going to happens itself, i think nothing is going to happen, another year will go by.

lol, my friend thinks that the aliens are going to come down and share their knowledge with us 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:24:28 PM by AB »
Meep.

April 10, 2008, 12:20:09 PM
Reply #4

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
I really don't think it will cause that much problem, I don't know very much about the 2012 stuff and what significance it may actually have. But I doubt mass hysteria and paranoia are going to grip the world. Otherwise people other than dbzers and cultist people would be preparing for it now. Marketing would have taken advantage of it more if it was so strong. The most I have seen is 2-4 books at the book store.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

April 10, 2008, 01:29:04 PM
Reply #5

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Humans every single year come up with another dooms day story. Its going to be an asteroid, its going to end on 2012, it going to end by global warming, the sun is going to explode, a blackhole will eat us all, Aliens are going to attack us, we all are going to die by nukes, Zombies, its going to end by a volcano  blackening the sky and creating death as ash falls for 20 years.

You know what, I will just say its never going to happen soon enough as people hope for. Give it 10 more million years.
Comfort of the Lord, comforted by God.
If nothing existed but the Source and the Source - Created everything - Is the Creation from the Source? - If the Creation can behold intelligence - Then does the Source also have intelligence? - After all - The Source was far more than its Creation.

April 10, 2008, 03:56:36 PM
Reply #6

Quagmire

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
If ANYTHING at all, there could possibly be a serious war going on by that time considering the direction we are taking right now. Maybe as well the possibility of mass paranoia... Other than that, it will likely be a big disappointment like Y2K. If not, it will certainly give a guy something to talk about for a good while.
-Q

April 10, 2008, 03:57:11 PM
Reply #7

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Nothing will happen.

Live in comfort with that knowledge.

Thank me later.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

April 10, 2008, 08:10:55 PM
Reply #8

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
What do you mean "Nothing will happen"? I'm going to strip naked and run around the block, screaming inane ramblings until police cart me away. That's something :P

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

April 10, 2008, 08:13:23 PM
Reply #9

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
A very small something though, Steven.

April 10, 2008, 11:45:04 PM
Reply #10

orygbus

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
It marks the "end times" (aka the end of "the age of pisces") and marks the beginning of "the age of aquriaus". In other words, nothing major will happen, except those cause by crazy end of the world fanatics....

April 11, 2008, 05:18:29 AM
Reply #11

The Jacket

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Just to the right side of wrong.
    • View Profile
Posted by: leonard 
Insert Quote
why would tou want that to be true? no offense, i am just a little curious.

I'm an egotistic maniac. lol  Really though, I hope its true because when I die, I want it to be in some way that the world dies first.  That probably sounds worse than it really is.  Let me try again. 
Basically I want to go out in the most spectacular fashion imaginable, even if the rest of the planet shares it with me.  For some reason, I see death as giving up.  I never give up anything, so thats why I want to die after life is no longer viable on the planet.  Then I just lose, not give up.
Told you I was crazy!  :biggrin:

Posted on: Yesterday at 11:45:04 PMPosted by: orygbus 
Insert Quote
It marks the "end times" (aka the end of "the age of pisces") and marks the beginning of "the age of aquriaus". In other words, nothing major will happen, except those cause by crazy end of the world fanatics....

.... *waves*.   'Age of Aquarius'?  I always liked that song.  Probably because I am Aquarius.  Not that it makes much difference.
Every thing you know is wrong! Only what you dont know is true. Surely then the wisest man is he who knows nothing! By knowing nothing, clearly you know everything that isn't, and therefore everything that is.

April 11, 2008, 12:53:48 PM
Reply #12

The Immortal Flame

• View Profile
Nothing is going to happen.

The sun will rise in the morning and the sun will set in the evening. Just as it has always been doing. :biggrin:
I will never give up.
I will always keep on fighting.
~The Immortal Flame

April 21, 2008, 11:17:28 PM
Reply #13

Ouroboros

• View Profile
From what I've heard, its said that its going to be the end of the world because the Mayan calendar (said to be so accurate that it can predict events and not just now the days fall) Stops working after that date.  Their calendar is like a formula.  No mater what you plug in, something should come out. Supposedly on in 2012, nothing comes out anymore.

I've heard rumors that 2012 is also the year that our solar system will cross the equator of the galaxy. Shifting from southern hemisphere to northern I think.  Anyway, this phenomina is unprecidented to us, so, like with y2k, people are worried and fearing the worst.

Me?  I only hope its all true.

Both are correct. The Mayans had a whole different method of counting and perception of time. The Mayans achieved this different set of mathematics and time perception through the observation and organization of nature. For instance, while modern humans have the convention of counting in base 10 (said to be from our ten fingers), the Mayans counted in a base 20 format (fingers and toes). In addition, their time perception was given to them by the sun and moon. While we perceive time as linear and irretrievable, the Mayans perceived time as cyclical or repeating, due to the cyclic nature of the sun and moon. You can similarly compare their observations to the sun and moon as the hands on a clock, the sun being closer to the minute hand and the moon similar to the hour hand. For these reasons, the Mayans had a 13 month calendar, with every month having exactly 28 days (new moon to new moon, coincidentally also the human reproductive cycle).

Now, things get tricky with how they stack their "wheels of time." I don't really know what they are called off the top of my head, but for anyone with a background on the precession of the zodiac/equinoxes, it corresponds with the changing of ages. Each cycle of time had a separate name, the largest cycle (based on their base 20 counting format) was given the name of a "baktun" cycle, and takes approximately 26,000 years to fully complete its 13 cycles. The completion of the 13th baktun cycle is NOT THE END, and is more equivalent to "reseting" the clock, since their time was cyclical. The clock reaches the end of the count and starts back over from "zero point." The date December 21st, 2012 at approximately 11:11am marks the end of this cycle.

Now, if you really want to dig deeper into what I call the evolution of the universe, I suggest readings involved with the precession of the Zodiac (the end of the baktun cycle marks the end of the age of Pieces, and the beginning of the age of Aquarius) and the Vedic cycles from India (the end of the cycle marks the end of the earthen/clay age and the beginning of the new golden age). In addition, you can even reference the bible. Moses, the age of Aries, the ram (which is why Jews blow the ram's horn ceremonially), symbolized the end of the age of Taurus, the golden calf. Jesus, renowned for his work with fish and fishermen (for instance, feeding the 5,000 with 2 fish) was the symbol for the age of Pieces. (2 fish linked together is the common symbol for Pieces. Also, the common ichthys symbol found on the back of modern Christians' cars are further testament to this.) In question to the location of the last passover, when Jesus is gone, he replies, "As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters" Luke 22:10. This man with a pitcher of water is Aquarius, the water bringer, and the age following Pieces in the precession of the equinoxes.

Okay, that was long-winded; I apologize. I hope you all find what you are looking for.

April 22, 2008, 03:06:15 AM
Reply #14

Void

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Its too far into tomorrow to really be of any real concern. The question is what are you doing with your days up until then? What are your life goals? What things have you shared with other people? What have you given to the world? Dont you think they are more important questions other than 'am i going to die on 2012?'