Author Topic: An animal and a Man  (Read 13355 times)

February 07, 2008, 07:15:06 PM
Reply #15

Veos

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Kali Yuga is named for Kali the Goddess.  The names are identical in Sanskrit.  Kali is a form of Vishnu's consort, and ultimately is seen at least in Shaivism (worship of Shiva) as being a manifestation of Parvati.  Kali is sanskrit for "turmoil" or "confusion".  She is generally represented in one of her forms as the Goddess of death, but in another form she is the Goddess of Nature.  Much like how Shiva is the God of Destruction, God of Liberation, God of Creation (ultimately) and God of Dance simultaneously.  The hindu gods have many facets to them.  Kali as the goddess of Chaos is the reference to the Kali Yuga.  The Puranams talk about the Kali Yuga quite a bit, and reference the Goddess Kali to them on most occasions.  The Final incarnation is the Kalki Avatar.  Interesting to note that the description of the Kalki Incarnation of Vishnu in the Srimad Bhagavatam and the description of Christ when he comes again in the Book of Revelations bears a few striking resemblances.   
Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham

February 07, 2008, 07:22:55 PM
Reply #16

Saer

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Thank you for the clarification.
As you love your own body, so regard everyone as equal to your own body. When the Supreme Experience supervenes, everyone's service is revealed as one's own service. Call it a bird, an insect, an animal or a man, call it by any name you please, one serves one's own Self in every one of them. ~ Ma

February 07, 2008, 10:58:07 PM
Reply #17

Silver_Archer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Prophet of Doom

• View Profile
Kali also means black, or dark. Oh, and Kali  in Kali yug and Kali as in goddess Kali are NOT written the same way in Sanskrit. Kali is written with an aakar after the k akshar, while kali is not written with an aakar on the k akshar. This is a significant difference, because as Sanskrit is a phonetic language it changes the word completely. There is little doubt in the mind of anyone who has grown up with Hinduism around him or her that kali yug (or kalyug when the two words are merged together, which is a common practice in Sanskrit and is called 'sandhi') that is a reference to kalki. (the yug of kalki, being kali.)

Then again, I am not overly familiar with Shiavism, as the most dominant form of Hinduism I am usually surrounded by is the Vaishnav sect. As Kali is an avatar of Parvati, it would make more sense to look at the associated mythology in the shiv purana, which I have not done in detail. The problem with Hinduism is that different groups go around interpreting mythology in totally different ways. An ideal example is Krishna, who is given an extremely important role in the beliefs of ISKON, but many other sects are not so centred around krishna and do not consider him anymore important than the other avatars of Vishnu, say, Ram or Parshuram. Similarly, according to some sects, the asur lord Mahishasur is defeated by Kali, while others maintain that he was defeated by Mahalakshmi. So it is not unlikely that there exist many different interpretations of the same mythological event or events in different sects of Hinduism.

Just thought I'd clarify this point in case anybody feels I am outright disagreeing with what other people have said on this thread.

That said, as far as the original post is concerned, these specifics really don't matter. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:03:42 PM by Silver_Archer »
<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.

February 14, 2008, 01:21:30 PM
Reply #18

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
The Srimad Bhagavatam, I believe, illustrates King Parikshit (the successor of Yuddhistira) witnessing the coming of the Age of Kali in the form of a man beating a one-legged bull to death as a cow sheds tears.  Parikshit realizes that the bull is Dharma, whose four legs are austerity, purity, charity, and truthfulness.  The cow is mother earth, who is unable to withstand the sins of those incarning upon her.  He then understands that the evil man is Kali, and that this all represents the coming of the Age of Kali (the Kali Yuga). 

During the Kali Yuga, Kalki and Kali are supposed to meet in battle in order to decide the judgment of the world.  However, I have seen nothing to suggest that the Kali yuga refers to the Age of Kalki and not the Age of Kali.  I understand the linguistic points suggested, but have never seen any scriptural support for it.  On the other hand, as mentioned above, I have found scriptural support for the Kali Yuga referring to Kali.

February 14, 2008, 01:38:57 PM
Reply #19

Vir Fortunae Lucisque

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Aspirant - Rising from the Armchair
    • View Profile
Wow...how does EVERYTHING that man says sound PROFOUND?

Love ya, Proph! Just kiddin'!
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit. ~ Horace
Credo ut intelligam. ~ St. Augustine

March 29, 2008, 08:33:11 AM
Reply #20

Raitaro

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Knight of Wands
    • View Profile
Interesting that I had missed this until now. The fact I read it now has also done wonders for me. Kudos.
The IneptInitiate
http://xkcd.com/303/
http://xkcd.com/123/

I got a hot girl and the coolest band I know. I gotta bad habbit of smoking before the show.
I got music I got friends I trust and love. I get into a lot of fights and now my knuckles are all fucked up.....

April 03, 2008, 05:32:02 PM
Reply #21

zeon

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    feast upon atlantis and see the dirt we stand on
    • View Profile
wow i feel like such an idiot i still don get it :headwall: someone please abbriviate
The two greatest flaws of humanity..

1. humans have a tendency to always take the hard way.

2.we always ask the wrong questions.

April 13, 2008, 10:17:03 AM
Reply #22

Enchantra

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Witch
    • View Profile
I don't understand  :confused: