Author Topic: how is it right?  (Read 2292 times)

January 11, 2008, 04:39:34 PM
Read 2292 times

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
so many people beleive that christianity is the true path and that we non-beleivers will "be smite by his mighty grace", they persistantly bother me and slander my religion with lies even though they hav no idea what asatru even means, i try to talk sense to them to stop the lies about me, but they stand firm and keep trying to get me to convert... Dylan Alfensone is a constant annoyance that will not even think about what i say and ignores the proofs i hav set in his path, what i really want to know is, how do i deal with these people? i try to ignore them but they get in the way of me saying what i want to say to different people... and i also want to know, how is it the "true" religion? i dont want any bullshit about how he is a peaceful, nonvoilent yet malevolently egotistical thing
Meep.

January 11, 2008, 05:29:33 PM
Reply #1

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
If you desire to defend your faith against any other religion, then you need to know as much as you can about that other religion.  Likewise, you need to know as much as possible about your own religion.  For example, when speaking to a Christian, it may be interesting to bring up that the self-hanging of Odin is similar to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, or to mention that Thor is incredibly similar in nature to the Judeo-Christian Archangel known as Gabriel.  Talk about how the three rulers of "the kingdom" that King Gylfi talks to, and who tell him the creation story, could easily correspond to the Holy Trinity of Christianity.  The fire giant Surt is strikingly similar in nature to Samael.  Mention the similarity between the creation of mankind at the hands of Odin, Vili, and Ve, and the creation of mankind at the hands of Elohim.  For example, it is said that when Odin gave the first life, he bent down over a driftlog and put his breath upon it.  The spirit of man is likewise said to have been given to man by Elohim through His breath.  For Christians who believe in the antichrist, mention that according to the Asatru faith there is a ship being built on the shore of Naastrand in Hel made entirely out of human nails, skin, and hair, and that the commander of this ship is called "the greatest sinner of them all," and will raise up to fight against the gods in Ragnarok (it is not Loki).

Defending one's religion is for the ignorant.  Instead, defend the right to view the universe in that particular way.  Likewise pushing one's religion upon others is for the ignorant.  Instead, share with others how your way of seeing the universe has helped you.  Above this all, seek harmony between the religions of man.  Once you start looking for the similarities between the main religions, you realize that they are not much different at all, but usually only use different names to designate the same things.

January 11, 2008, 05:55:47 PM
Reply #2

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
ah hey dog, havnt seen u in a while! :biggrin: good to see ur still urself, but thanks for the tips dude, ill need to think about that one for a while
Meep.

January 12, 2008, 01:29:24 AM
Reply #3

Watchtower

• Posts By Osmosis

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Contemplative Panentheist
    • View Profile
I've never really agreed with the idea of trying to make all of man's religions agree with each other or "harmonize" with each other.  You end up diluting them and synthesizing something different by taking excessive interpretive liberties to make them suit your own needs, which I consider disrespectful, but that's me.  Personally, I do NOT see the self-hanging of Odin as similar to the crucifixion of Jesus, and to me they are most certainly not merely "different names to represent the same thing."  Tell a long-time Asatruar that his religion is the same as Christianity, and see what he says.

In my own personal view, it is best to simply acknowledge that different religions will have differences and similarities between them, and stop there.  In any case, pointing out similarities between religions might work well for dealing with some fanatics, but I bet a lot of them would be offended by it.  Depends on the person.  *shrugs* I would simply recommend not getting your panties in a twist about it.  If someone asks you about Asatru, answer them honestly.  If some fanatic of a different faith tries to interject, politely remind them that the person asked about Asatru, not their faith.  Above all, keep your composure and make an example of yourself.  People will be far more impressed with you than the fanatic, and this will help your cause more than anything.  As for people trying to convert you or you trying to defend your faith, I'd just forget about it and be on my merry way.  One faith may work for one person but not for another, it's an intensely personal thing, so you should just continue to live your life as you see fit, stand by your beliefs and to hell with what other people think of it.  It's just not worth the aggravation.

That's my $0.02 anyway.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:32:03 AM by Watchtower »
"For no matter how holy works may be, they do not make us holy because we do them, but in so far as we within ourselves are as we should be, we make holy all that we do, whether it be eating, or sleeping, or working, or what it may."

-Eckhart von Hochheim

January 12, 2008, 11:00:01 AM
Reply #4

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
If another person won't listen to what you have to say, then you can never deal with them until they will listen. I used to be christian and the kind of people you are talking about are the type of christian I never could like. Try your best to avoid them, for your sake.

If you feel like defending your religion for your religion's/God's sake then realize that things might get even worse for everyone involved, so use tact ;)

Also, if doing Prophecy's suggestion of comparing christianity to other religions doesn't work because they won't listen, don't be surprised. Most christians that I've met are so self-absorbed in their own beliefs about christianity that sometimes even quoting the bible itself doesn't change their minds about what they've been taught to believe by their church or family.

~Steve
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:04:14 AM by Steve »
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

January 12, 2008, 12:19:41 PM
Reply #5

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
......that could work, or i could break the next ten peoples noses that try to convert me :teethy: :HA!:
Meep.

January 12, 2008, 12:24:40 PM
Reply #6

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Stop complaining about other people's ignorance about religion and try to improve yourself.  You have far better things to worry about than how dangerous or annoying a potentially fanatical Christian is.  You don't really have the right to judge them when you are slandering them by speaking about them in such a way.  How much study have you put into Asatru?  At least they take their religion seriously enough to study it extensively.  Have you?  How do you know followers of Asatru do not try to incessantly convert people as well?  And do you even understand what Christianity is?  What do you know about it aside from what a pastor or two has perhaps told you?  It is not for you to pass judgement on the so-called ignorant masses when you are probably in the same position as they are.

January 12, 2008, 01:40:56 PM
Reply #7

Shadowx089

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Asatru is a little strange religion to me by what I read, from other religions I know...I wish to meet one in person who has this religion to learn more....well a few people. But I never even heard of it till now.

But you forget that Christianity and its people who believe in it are suppose to try and spreed what they believe is the words of god. They are not just suppose to sit back and say they are Christian. They have their own beliefs and when given the chance they convert people.   Its kinda part of their religion...like many others.

Its to be expected, but when people start making lies about you and your religion you know they are not true to their religion, they are mimics, people who say they are something but do many things that go against the faith/Religion they are.

Its an endless battle between people who believe they are right. People will try to convert you by using forceful tactics sometimes and is wrong.

The best thing to do is stop advertising yourself and your religion. Also stop messing with the Christian people, how did you get in that mess anyway? What did you do in public or something?
Usually a religious group of people don't start attacking you and your religion unless you did something that was unorthodox to them or in their presents first.

But then again some people are just plain evil and need to get their thoughts straiten out by hard mind battles and....etc.  Like the KKK. Humans tend to be irration all the time at random moments in time.
Comfort of the Lord, comforted by God.
If nothing existed but the Source and the Source - Created everything - Is the Creation from the Source? - If the Creation can behold intelligence - Then does the Source also have intelligence? - After all - The Source was far more than its Creation.

January 12, 2008, 01:51:39 PM
Reply #8

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
oriens: ha...haha...hahhahahaha, i hav no idea why but when i read that i just smiled and looked down on u (metaphorically) like i said: i hav no idea why, its just one of those instinctive things... i am actually feeling sorry for u, it may be something acting through me or it may be someting else, but i pity u, and theres no need to be defensive, evidently i had hit a nerve on u and i will pick apart what i had said to find it, (i can judge others becuz i CANT judge mysefl, its just the way my mind works) dont judge me either before u judge urself, why did u act so defensive about this? why did u spread out a small thing when u could hav let it go and save urself the (small?) stress? what was ur childhood like when u were growing up? im asking these not to help u, not to be defensive, not to insult u but im asking these questions becuz... i get a kick out of it, yup im a pretty ****ed up individual... and im proud of it! :biggrin: :HA!:

shadow: i did nothing but draw a rune on my arm, and i didnt advertise my religion or tell people about it
Meep.

January 12, 2008, 04:12:47 PM
Reply #9

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
well, i think we now know why they were being preachy to him >_>

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

January 13, 2008, 01:20:17 PM
Reply #10

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
oriens: ha...haha...hahhahahaha, i hav no idea why but when i read that i just smiled and looked down on u (metaphorically) like i said: i hav no idea why, its just one of those instinctive things... i am actually feeling sorry for u, it may be something acting through me or it may be someting else, but i pity u, and theres no need to be defensive, evidently i had hit a nerve on u and i will pick apart what i had said to find it, (i can judge others becuz i CANT judge mysefl, its just the way my mind works) dont judge me either before u judge urself, why did u act so defensive about this? why did u spread out a small thing when u could hav let it go and save urself the (small?) stress? what was ur childhood like when u were growing up? im asking these not to help u, not to be defensive, not to insult u but im asking these questions becuz... i get a kick out of it, yup im a pretty ****ed up individual... and im proud of it! :biggrin: :HA!:

shadow: i did nothing but draw a rune on my arm, and i didnt advertise my religion or tell people about it

You hit no nerve on me, my friend.  But evidently you will not accept my help, so I will let you go the way you are now, as that is appropriate you what you wish for yourself.

Namaste

January 13, 2008, 01:56:21 PM
Reply #11

AB

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Meep.