Home
Forums
Chat
Help
Search
Retro
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 09:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:

Advanced search
216238 Posts in 15395 Topics by 19902 Members - Latest Member: - BoneyThorn Most online today: 106 - most online ever: 430 (June 28, 2007, 02:58:51 PM)
+  The Veritas Society
|-+  Discussion Areas
| |-+  Magick
| | |-+  Sigils and Servitors.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sigils and Servitors.  (Read 3182 times)
Trillis
Has a lot of posts
Posts By Osmosis

. . ::IAO:: . .

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »

I have a rather simple question that I could no doubt easily find on Google within minutes. However, for the sake of participation I'll ask here.

What is the difference between using a sigil for a regular purpose, and then using a sigil with a servitor? If I am correct, the sigil and the servitor must be put together to create the entity. What confuses me, is that the process in which one creates a sigil for the desired effect is similar to creating a servitor without actually visualizing the entity as a spirit body. Perhaps this confusion arises that I do not completely understand sigils, nor servitors but it would be pleasing to find an end to this confusion. Every time I attempt to create a sigil it always ends up being a servitor, and when I attempt to create a sigil I can't seem to complete it successfully because I do not understand what it is used for other than, metaphorically speaking a phone number for the servitor.

Bashing your head against a wall

Oriens Lvx Lucis
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:24:11 PM »

Imagine a sigil as a button which launches a missile.  If you press the sigil button, then the button directly initiates the launch mechanism of the missile.  However, there are many things that can go wrong in such a simple system.  If you cut off the connection of the button with the launch mechanism, for example, it will cease to be useless.

Now, imagine a servitor as a person in charge of a missile silo.  They can manually launch the missile if you want them to.   They have intelligence, so that if one thing goes wrong, they can make a new plan and take advantage of changing circumstances.

In simple terms, a sigil is very direct, and useful for simple effects.  A servitor is far more useful and effective, being that it can adapt to situations, and can take advantage of new variables.  A sigil cannot.  However, servitors are harder to maintain.

Namaste
Micky-P
Veritas Furniture

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 06:23:43 AM »

Assuming of course that the Servitor is of the intelligent variety.

If the servitor was of the unintelligent variety, programmed to perform one specific task with little or no deviation from the plan, how would that differ from the sigil?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:25:16 AM by Micky-P » Logged

(insert something suggesting knowledge and wit)
Veos
Teacher Emeritus
Veritas Furniture

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:41 AM »

The most obvious difference between a sigil and a servitor is the participation of the magician and the effect aimed at itself.  If it is a one-time act, then a sigil is more practical.  However if it is a continual process thaty needs to be done, then a servitor can be employed, thus allowing the magician to worry about other things.

Soham Sivoham Aham Brahma Asmi Mahavakya
Suddha satchitananda purna parabrahma
Chidananda Rupa Sivoham Sivoham
wondering
A Familiar Feature

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:11:13 AM »

What can you say on those items sold in ebay that has a Guardian servitor spirit bonded to it? And it has its own intelligence and many abilities?

Anyone already tried it? Do you think it is safe to own one?

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.
              - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Tsumaru
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:07:05 AM »

Hoax. Scam. Do not buy.

don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.
Robin
Posts By Osmosis

Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »

Though it's probably safe to have one, I wouldn't recommend it. Learn how to work with Magick yourself instead.

~Tempestum
Sethair
Posts By Osmosis

The souls of the True shall always remain strong.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:17:24 PM »

What can you say on those items sold in ebay that has a Guardian servitor spirit bonded to it? And it has its own intelligence and many abilities?

Anyone already tried it? Do you think it is safe to own one?

Yes, there are some out there that are legitimate, but very difficult to find. (I know I will get quite a bit of flak from this, but I dont care.)

Try CreepyHollows.com . They have a wide customer base with very good reviews.

EDIT: I do want to add that this is not a shortcut. You still need practice and skill in the spiritual universe to even perceive these items. You are better off creating your own, with your own energy.

▲ ▲

"We're whalers on the Moon, we carry a harpoon. But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales and sing our whaling tune"

My Blog 
My Art!!!
Rayn
Posts By Osmosis

<insert something cynical and sarcastic>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »

What is the difference between using a sigil for a regular purpose, and then using a sigil with a servitor? If I am correct, the sigil and the servitor must be put together to create the entity. What confuses me, is that the process in which one creates a sigil for the desired effect is similar to creating a servitor without actually visualizing the entity as a spirit body. Perhaps this confusion arises that I do not completely understand sigils, nor servitors but it would be pleasing to find an end to this confusion. Every time I attempt to create a sigil it always ends up being a servitor, and when I attempt to create a sigil I can't seem to complete it successfully because I do not understand what it is used for other than, metaphorically speaking a phone number for the servitor.

One names and represents an object, force, event, etc. whereas in the other context, one represents, and names, a personification. For example, a symbol can represent wind as just the wind or a symbol can personify the wind and thus work with a servitor of the wind that pushes the wind around. The act of personification determines whether or not it will be a servitor or simply an object that is manipulated. So, in this example, one could seek to manipulate the wind with a sigil that represents the wind which is seen as that, and not an entity, or one can see the sigil as naming an entity of the wind which is manipulated. If you intentionally treat the sigil as corresponding to an object that is not conscious, then you should stop having that issue. Personifying it thus creates something in the form of that personification thus yielding a servitor. How servitors and sigils are associated in your head is probably impacting how you think about them causing you to unconsciously think of every sigil as a possible servitor thus making it into one. The difference lies in how you treat it, use it, think about it, and the context. Like how a word can mean something entirely different in a different context.

Really, it is all an extension of yourself. Think for a moment of having a dream. Everything in the dreamscape is an extension of you, but a chair in a dream may be treated as simply an object though it may mean something else versus a person in the dream which is represented, acts like, and is treated as a person, though, in reality, it is the same as the dream chair.  

Edit

The most obvious difference between a sigil and a servitor is the participation of the magician and the effect aimed at itself.  If it is a one-time act, then a sigil is more practical.  However if it is a continual process thaty needs to be done, then a servitor can be employed, thus allowing the magician to worry about other things.

Sigils and runes can correspond to properties and attributes meant to imbue an object and thus grant a continuous effect making it so that it is better for more than a one time act without the magician having to participate beyond setting the spell in say, for example, an enchantment.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:01:28 PM by Rayn » Logged

Noein - A Resource on Psi, Science, and Philosophy
but sorcery refuses to be a metaphor for mere literature--it insists that symbols must cause events as well as private epiphanies. It is not a critique but a re-making. It rejects all eschatology & metaphysics of removal, all bleary nostalgia & strident futurismo, in favor of a paroxysm or seizure of presence.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: