Author Topic: Age and Ethics  (Read 2972 times)

February 28, 2004, 09:54:02 AM
Read 2972 times

Alias1

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
How do you all feel about the ethics behind power? Magick, psionics, MA, these all grant us power to an extent. I've never seen an ethics class prior to the college level. Kids can learn psionics, but often don't learn any ethical stances on its uses. At least with MA, a lot of senseis will kick your ass if you abuse their training. Do kids have the maturity to understand the ethics of power? At what age or level of training should ethics be imparted? Should ethics exist within these arts or do many of you take a survivalist stance?
May you live in interesting times.

"What?" - Arthur Dent

February 28, 2004, 10:06:52 AM
Reply #1

midknight

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I'm a kid(13) and i understand all of this fine!

February 28, 2004, 10:31:12 AM
Reply #2

Seishijin

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I think you'll need to have some form of morals before you can get too far in this stuff. either by learning from being taught or just acquiring yourself. i think it's almost like a barrier par se. either you learn for self-fulfillment and use it for "good" or you be corrupted by it and something will eventually happen to make you stop or kinda snap you back into reality.
If history is to change, let it change.
If the world is to be destroyed, so be it.
If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

February 28, 2004, 10:33:12 AM
Reply #3

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
do adults understand ethics? *cough*enron*cough* *cough*clinton*cough*

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

February 28, 2004, 10:53:43 AM
Reply #4

Orchild

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Quote from: kakkarot
do adults understand ethics? *cough*enron*cough* *cough*clinton*cough*

~kakkarot

gotta love the kakkarot
I hope I never have to realize my dream

February 28, 2004, 01:31:23 PM
Reply #5

Alias1

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
lol. gotta love kakkarot. And to answer your question, hell no.   :p  I'm not the most moral person either, but it seems worthwhile to try to set up basic ideas and personal ideals develop from there.
May you live in interesting times.

"What?" - Arthur Dent

February 28, 2004, 10:42:37 PM
Reply #6

Aurafire

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Village Idiot
    • View Profile
I'm not going to say you have to be pure at heart to be able to learn how to do some destructive things, because that's absolutely not the truth. There's people that going into the military, and they carry guns and all kinds of dangerous stuff, and what would stop any of them from blowing up government buildings or killing their own officers. Ethics is always an issue even today, and I could see why psionics would be brought up. But most of the people I've talked to are generally good people, and it's rare enough that someone could train hard enough to be able to hurt someone, let alone someone from that select group would intentionally want to hurt that person.
Patience is never inherited nor acquired, but only practiced everyday.

February 29, 2004, 12:20:22 AM
Reply #7

Alex

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Well, it's not like you can see a 12 year-old boy picking scissors up with his mind and stabbing someone.  And I've yet to see some chi-kid do lots of harm to someone (even myself, because I don't try) that soley comes from chi.  And we don't need martial arts to bash someone's skull in.  Any sane kid knows not to hurt someone for their own pleasure.  So I say no, we don't need a set of ethics.

February 29, 2004, 04:12:15 AM
Reply #8

Magus Soul Shatter

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • http://ergh.fatcake.com
interesting... i never really thought about them.i have done alot of bad things with my power and knowledge, and i have done alot of good things with it to. but never once did i ever think about ethics.i know in the wicca circles that i use to belong to there ethics are controled by the power of three but i never really bought into it. and do we really need ethics? i'm sure people like Clinton and some of them Enron guys where taught ethics but in the end it comes down to the person and there choice i think people who want ethics will ask for them and those that don't, well no amout of teaching will ever make them follow ethics. but hey thats just the rambalings of a 26 yr old who walks the line down the center

February 29, 2004, 08:03:21 AM
Reply #9

Trowa

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Hmmm...

The issue of ethics with psionics shouldn't be treated any differently than any other skill that could potentially hurt someone. Someone before this post mentioned a 12 year old stabbing someone to death (with psionics)with a pair of scissors. What is the difference between that and the kid going up to the guy and stabbing him physically?

The same rules of ethics apply from physical strength to scissors to handguns to psionics. I don't see why there should be an exception in the case of psionics.

~Trowa

February 29, 2004, 10:46:06 AM
Reply #10

Quagmire

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
One major aspect would be common sence. If your using psi to go around and hurt other people (and probably yourself as well), your obviously lacking common sence and it would probably be healthy to stop what you are doing.
-Q

February 29, 2004, 11:30:48 AM
Reply #11

the pita

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Ethics should be learned at a early age concerning anything. It is a must to have ethics in all life situations. If you dont have ethics then you are nothing... and will be treated as a person who knows no ethics.
All words typed above are my own thoughts and or opinions, no offence intended

February 29, 2004, 11:40:37 AM
Reply #12

darksheep

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
Not that ethics shouldn’t be used in everything, but when someone goes to the gym in order to get pumped up and strong does anyone say to them,"im not going to let you build your muscles because you might go out and kicks someone’s ass" no they don’t because its everyone’s right as human beings to extended their abilities. This also doubles internally, it’s not anyone’s place to tell someone that they should or shouldn’t train their minds just because they are not what you call ethical.  Of course we can hope they will learn to use their skills in the right way, and we as sure as hell can make a good example, but we cant tell them not to.

February 29, 2004, 01:15:10 PM
Reply #13

the pita

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
ethics are ones personal morals, not someone telling someone else to do something or not for any reason. ethics arent like yours and yours like mine. ethics are what keep us from disrespecting others, not lying, or cheating on your mates. Its what keeps us on the sane side of life no matter. To have no ethics makes you a nothing in my book. I speak from years of haveing no ethics or cares for anyone but myself. ethics should be applied when ever possible, no reason to put yourself lower than people who have none.
All words typed above are my own thoughts and or opinions, no offence intended

March 01, 2004, 05:48:14 PM
Reply #14

Murray

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Pull my finger, I'm an Aikidoka
    • View Profile
No one can teach you etics, but at an early age and all the way up, you should be encouraged to think over your stances and ethics. And you SHOULD learn a lot by yourself as life goes on. But if I was a psitrainer (I probably wont ever be) and I was teaching psi to anyone I would check them out if they were starting to get good at Telepathy and stuff like that.
"A dream where I slowly suck out a clown's vital organs with a hoover is a GOOD DREAM!"
 - Darkduck